Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Stories and Change




      Since arriving at JBU I have found that, although I have not changed dramatically, I have become much more comfortable in who I am as a person. I have typically been rather introspective and shy around those who I do not know, not wanting others to see the nerdy and slightly awkward girl that I really was. However, I have made the acquaintance of incredibly supportive peers who have accepted me the way I am. This feeling of acceptance has given me a greater sense of self-confidence, enabling me to feel much less apprehensive about meeting new people.
     Lately, I have been thinking about what I am doing with my life--as all college students do at one point or another. My original plan for my life was to become a physical therapist so that I may help in the rehabilitation of others. However, I soon realized that I did not have a specific reason or passion behind it. Through conversations with others about random subjects, the theme of Dry Gulch (my church's summer camp) kept coming up. I was not entirely sure why, until I revisited a memory that really changed my outlook on life. I was very blessed growing up, being in a healthy Christian household, but I was a bit of a social outcast as a child. At Dry Gulch, I reached out to those who were rejected by their peers, for one reason or another, and I did my best to show them that they are loved. My ambition in life is to take this passion and apply it. I want to show underprivileged children the love of Christ through not only medical care, but by healing them emotionally and spiritually as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment