Friday, September 2, 2011

"Human Flourishing"

          Students feel the need to control their lives because many of them have already put vast amounts of effort into being successful. While striving for success is an admirable goal, the illusion of “control” is not necessarily good. Trying to control one’s life by oneself can often seem like one is insulting God, even if that is not one’s intent. Students often don’t trust anyone but themselves to be able to help in the right way, but this behavior inadvertently pushes God’s extended hand away from them. This need for control and one’s acting upon it by oneself is not entirely biblical. If Jesus Christ is the Lord of one’s life, then why doesn’t one ask him for help?


          I, myself, am not exactly a great example of one who gives control of one’s life to God. I, too, get so caught up in the busyness of schoolwork, theatre, sports and other extra-curricular activities that I (unfortunately) forget that I have someone upon whom I can cast my trust and my cares and that He actually wants to help. As a student, I sometimes become so bent upon accomplishing my goals that my mind compartmentalizes my work and my God. While this is not a good habit in which to fall, I am constantly trying to make myself aware of the situations in which this occurs so that I may better my behavior. I believe that this is a prominent issue in today’s society, and I hope that others will realize its prevalence.
~Why does society stress the role of extreme  achievement?
~Why doesn't the Christian community take a bigger stand on this issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment