Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Stranger in the Crowd

       The caf was buzzing with continuous conversation and chattering when I walked in after a tiring practice. Knowing the task set before me, I begrudgingly began to look for a group of unfamiliar people with whom I could sit and talk with. (I am not exactly an extroverted individual; I am definitely hesitant to get out of my social comfort zone).
     I saw a table of a few seemingly friendly guys, and I decided that I should just go ahead and get the awkwardness over with. I walked over and asked if it was alright if I sat there, and was somewhat surprised to be greeted rather kindly. Shortly after exchanging the typical who-are-you information, it turned out that each knew friends of mine.  Conversation quickly picked up, and we began talking about college life, classes, and friends--like practically every first conversation in which college students partake.
     Before, I felt apprehensive, afraid. Afraid that I would be rejected, not accepted by others. Afraid that they would think that I was not worth the time and effort of even casual conversation. Afraid that they would think me boring or average or simply plain. In retrospect, it seems such a silly thing to worry about, but it was such a powerful emotion beforehand that I was in a negative mood just thinking about it.
      As the conversation went on, I became much more comfortable, much more at ease. I thought, “This isn’t too bad. They seem to be treating me like any other human being.” I wondered why they weren’t as cold or indifferent towards me as I expected, but I was comforted by their warm and inviting attitudes. I began to listen intently as one of them was explaining his experience as a freshman the year before, and he gave helpful advice on involvement without overcommitment.
     Afterwards, I wondered why I had felt so negatively about finding someone I did not know, for it was a rather fun and interesting experience in the long run. Interacting with “new” people need not be such an uncomfortable dreading of awkward situations, but rather an expectation of new and exciting opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment